Sometimes when I am standing in the kitchen, I look at the stale bread, the bread is probably looking at me as well. If the bread can speak, the bread would ask:”Woman, what do you want to do with me today, huh?! Slice me? Toast me?”
I usually will tear the bread. I make bread pudding with it. Usually when you talk about bread pudding, you will think of a sweet sticky bread pudding. But I don’t fancy sweet food especially for my breakfast. So, I make savory bread pudding. This savory bread pudding is cheesy and eggy. Bread soaked in egg once baked, the texture is like the centre of thick french toast and you will not stop putting this pillowy bread pudding into your mouth.
Of course when I said savory bread pudding, you will need some savory ingredients, right? You can put some ham of your choice and any types of cheese that you like such as cheddar or mozzarella. Usually I put both because cheddar is for the taste and mozzarella is for the “pulling effect”. Sometimes if I see chorizo in my fridge, that will be in my bread pudding as well. Really, anything that you like.
This bread pudding is easy to make, it’s quick, it’s yummy, it feeds a lot of people if you use a big baking tray. I call this the “lazy breakfast menu” simply because you just chop, tear, mix, whisk, pour and pop into the oven to bake. Dust your hand, sit back and wait for your breakfast.
When I serve this as breakfast, Mister Paya always has extra appetite and he could just sweep away 3 quarter of the bread pudding. So beware, once it’s out from the oven, quickly grab a lot and guard it!
Ham & Cheese Savory Bread Pudding – Serves 2-3 person
- Stale bread tear into chunks (about 2cm cube size and about 15 pieces)
- 5 eggs
- 5 tablespoon of milk
- A handful or 1/2 cup of ham, sliced
- 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup of Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of coarsely ground black pepper
- *I use a 21.5cm x 17cm with depth of 6.5cm baking dish
- Preheat your oven at 180°C.
- Tear or slice the stale bread into chunks
- Put the bread, ham and coarsely ground black pepper into the baking dish.Give it a rough mix with your hand so that everything distribute evenly.
- Whisk all the eggs together with milk and salt.
- Pour the egg mixture into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle all the cheese on top and put into the oven to bake.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Sign of bread pudding about to be ready is that when you see the bread pudding puff up and the top has turn golden brown. Do check the center of the bread pudding. If you see the center is still a bit runny, put it back to the oven to bake for another 5 minutes.