Sometimes when I feel like eating “healthy”, I think of eating salad. Because I thought that by eating salad plus it has a lot of greens, it is good for my body. Salad is like something special to fulfill my thought of being healthy.
I am not sure about you but I admit I feel good after eating it. I also tell myself that I can do this everyday. And when I think I will be able to keep this up from this point onwards, comes the next day, all these dedication and thoughts to keep up is all wash down to the drain. I swallowed a goat after that. Kidding.
I am definitely the person who will swallow a truck of meat after eating a bowl of salad. Greens just don’t satisfy me. What is appealing to me is that when I see meat in the salad bowl such as a few thinly sliced ham or a pitiful amount of shredded chicken. These are like the main course of the meal. I would treat it with care and savour it like I have never tasted any meat before.
This Asian Style Salad that I put up has meat in it. When I make salad, I want to make something that I would enjoy eating. How I would enjoy eating it? That’s by putting meat in it and have a good dressing. A good dressing binds all the ingredients together. It feels like eating a harmonious garden feast.
This salad is loaded with greens, minced chicken and a bit of this and that such as fried shallots, crushed peanut. I want this salad to be tangy, meaty (of course), nutty, citrusy and every mouthful is enjoyable until the last spoon.
Serves 2 person (satisfactorily)
- 2 bunches of choy sum, chopped into 1cm wide
- 1 bunch of coriander, rough chopped
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 250g of minced chicken
- 1/2 cup of crushed peanuts
- 2 slices of grapefruit, get the pulps out and discard the skin
- 1 red chilli, slice thinly (half for the salad dressing and the other half for the salad topping)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil (for frying the shallots)
- For stir frying the minced chicken:
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon of oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon of fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon of sugar
- For the salad dressing:
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- Heat up the pan with oil. Put the sliced shallots in to fry in medium heat.
- In another pot filled with water, once the water is boiled, blanch the choy sum for 30 seconds in hot boiling water. Take out the choy sum and let it drain.
- Do keep an eye on your shallots. Once it turn golden brown. Take out and set aside.
- In the same pan with medium heat, put in the 1/2 tablespoon of oil. When the oil gets hot, put in the sliced shallots. Fry the shallots until soft.
- Put in the minced chicken, stir and fry for 2 minutes or so. You should see some parts are turning to white colour.
- Put in oyster sauce, fish sauce and sugar. Continue to stir fry until the minced chicken is cooked through. Taste and adjust with salt if needed.
- Once the chicken is cooked, set aside and we can start the salad dressing.
- Combine all the ingredients for salad dressing. Put in half of the sliced chilli too.
- Now you can assemble the salad. Put the blanched choy sum at the bottom, follow by coriander, minced chicken, shallots, crushed peanuts, grapefruit pulps and lastly some sliced red chilli.
- Drizzle some salad dressing on top and enjoy.