Nuggets – Little bite size jewel that will make your day. I love nuggets. I think a lot of people like nuggets too. Although there are articles and news about how unhealthy nuggets are, I would still eat it once in awhile. I don’t know why but it is addictive. You think about it, you contemplate whether to eat it because of its calorie, you buy and eat it, you regret it… The whole cycle starts and ends again and again.
I like to dip nuggets with chilli sauce. As soon as I discovered BBQ sauce. It becomes even better. I dip it in both sauces.
I was thinking about nuggets some time ago and I was also thinking about Malaysia mamak shop fried chicken. And then “ding!”, why not I make combine these two and make Malaysian style fried chicken nuggets! Oh how I miss mamak shop in Malaysia. Just a little extra info. If you ever travel to Malaysia, you must go to a mamak shop. Mamak shop is a place where you get roti canai, teh tarik, fried chicken, fried noodles and all kinds of goodies. Some of the mamak shop open for 24 hours. Usually the university students love to go there because they can order endless drinks and food, chit chat till morning.
So this Malaysian style fried chicken nugget is marinated with curry, chilli and turmeric powder. Do watch out for the heat. I have also made a yogurt dipping sauce to go with it. But you are free to dip in any sauce that you want. Even just have it on its own, it is still good.
Malaysian Style Fried Chicken Nugget with Yogurt Dipping Sauce
Serves 1 (but if you want to share then serves 2)
- 500g of minced chicken
- For marinating the minced chicken
- 3 tablespoon of paste made from 1/2 of big onion, 2 cloves of garlic and 1 inch ginger With the juice
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- For coating the chicken
- 4 tablespoon of potato starch
- 2 tablespoon of rice flour
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of ground white pepper
- 1 sprig or 10 curry leaves (optional) – chop or mince finely
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Enough oil for deep frying
- For the yogurt dipping sauce
- 1/2 cup of yogurt
- 1/2 of tomato, diced
- 1/4 of cucumber, diced
- 1 shallot, sliced thinly
- A pinch of salt, to taste
- Marinate the chicken with the above ingredients list specified under “For marinating the minced chicken”. Marinate for 2 hours in the fridge.
- In the meantime, prepare the yogurt dipping sauce by combining all the ingredients together. Store in the fridge until serving time.
- After 2 hours, combine the ingredients under “For coating the chicken” in a plate.
- Take out the marinated minced chicken from your fridge. Shape the minced chicken to nugget shapes. Get your hands wet in order to help you to shape the nuggets without the minced meat sticking on your hand.
- Coat the chicken nuggets with the mixture on the plate.
- Heat up your oil for frying. Fry the nuggets at medium to low heat for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Serve with yogurt sauce.