I always love the combination of rose water, cardamom and pistachios. The potent fragrance of rose water combine with the intense cardamom aroma, the green pistachios and the purple and red crushed rose petals, all these clashing of colours and aroma just let you feast your smell senses and eye senses first. In many Persian sweets and desserts, these ingredients are commonly used to make them. I caught some lovely recipes from a Moroccan cookbook some time ago. This phyllo triangle is one of them and I include some Persian commonly used ingredients in making these phyllo triangles.
These phyllo triangles are crunchy on the outside and there is melted cheese on the inside. When you drizzle the honey and rosewater on top, the phyllo will absorb some of it and gives you a sweet syrupy crunch when you bite. From my description, I am sure you already know that this is a crowd pleaser dessert. It is also easy to make and you can pre make these phyllo triangles and bake it when it’s about time for dessert. Serving it hot when the cheese is melted is the best thing in the world, right?
Since it’s a warm/hot dessert, sometimes I like to put something cold next to it such as vanilla ice cream. You get what I mean. Let’s go!
Cheese Phyllo Triangle Drizzled with Honey & Rosewater (Makes 14)
- 120g of mozzarella cheese (unsalted), grated or chopped finely
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoon of sugar
- phyllo sheets – cut into 3 inches wide strip and make 28 strips
- 4 teaspoon of melted butter
- 1 egg yolk, whisked (as egg wash)
- For garnishing:
- 2 tablespoon of honey & 2 teaspoon of rosewater
- Toasted crushed pistachios for garnishing
- Dried rose petals, crushed
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celsius.
- Mix mozzarella cheese and ground cardamom in a bowl.
- Brush 14 phyllo strips with melted butter and lay one phyllo strip on each of them.
- Spoon the cheese mixture onto the bottom of the phyllo strip.
- Fold the phyllo strip by taking one corner of the phyllo strip and fold diagonally across to the other side to form a triangle. Repeat the steps until to the end of the strip. For the last fold, seal with egg wash.
- Brush the top with egg wash.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then flip sides. Brush the flipped side with egg wash. Continue to bake for another 10 minutes. You will see the phyllo triangle turn to golden brown colour.
- Mix honey and rosewater together.
- Garnish the phyllo triangles with honey rosewater mixture, pistachios and dried rose petals.