I have said before and I am going to say again, I am a person who don’t eat a lot of salad. If I were to eat, it must be appealing enough for me to put it in my mouth. Please raise your hand if you are like me. High five!
So, for a salad to be appealing to me, the most important that I must see in the salad is the precious meat or something crunchy such as peanut, fried pork lard or in this salad I am making today, with fried beancurd puff. Salad lovers must have hated me by now already.
This salad is inspired by Thai Mango salad and I am using fish sauce and lime juice as the dressing. And you have the beancurd puff as the crunch, the main crunch, the main course in the salad. If you let the fried beancurd puff soak the dressing a little, then you will this half crunchy half coated with sauce kind of texture. Simply because not only it’s fried but now it has some dressing on it. It’s a bit hard to explain it here but just imagine eating sweet and sour pork. Fried pork coat with sauce. It’s not only about crispiness anymore but also the sauce that coat on it. It is like combining hard rock music and jazz together. Doesn’t seem to match but it does.
Beancurd Puff Salad (Serves 1)
- 6 Beancurd Puff, cut into half
- Enough oil for frying
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1 shallot, slice thinly
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped finely
- Lime juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 tablespoon of fish sauce
- 1.5 teaspoon of light brown sugar or white sugar
- 1 tablespoon of toasted crushed peanuts
- 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame
- A few mint leaves, roughly chopped
- A few coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Take the beancurd puff and invert it. Like turning socks inside out. This will let you exposed the inside of the beancurd puff and the inside of the beancurd puff has a rough surface. So when you fry it, you get a texture like bread crumb battered food when fried.
- Fry the beancurd puff in medium heat with oil until the surface turns golden brown. Drain the oil and set aside.
- Peel the cucumber and carrot with a julienne peeler or any peeler that you have. The cucumber and carrot should be long thin strips. Set aside.
- Combine garlic, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar in a small bowl. Stir the mixture until the sugar is dissolved. The dressing is done.
- Now you can start assembling the salad. In a big bowl, simply toss the fried beancurd puff, cucumber strips, carrot strips, sliced shallot, peanuts, sesame, mint and coriander leaves together with the dressing.