When I imagine pulled pork, I think about messy, dirty, comforting, greasy. This is the food you just want to eat at home without anyone looking at you (if possible). As you bite into the pulled pork bun, the sauce will flow and linger around your finger and it will get greasy and messy. Do not, I repeat, do not order this on your first date. Your date might run away. Unless you eat it with fork and knife. But come on! Where is the fun of being messy and greasy?
So again, when I imagine pulled pork, these lines just fall into my mind: Pulled pork must be soft and hot, coleslaw must be cold, bun must be warm. That’s how I want to eat my pull pork sandwich. This is my version of pulled pork sandwich after seeing how others make it.To be honest, I like my pulled pork’s color to be dark and shiny. I like the sauce to be sticky and slightly sweet. And then when I compliment it with the pickles (cold cold pickles). It’s like smacking ice and fire together. The pickles will act as the degreasing agent by bringing in freshness and crunchiness to your mouth. Besides all that, a colorful feast! Again, feast your eyes before your stomach.
Once you have assemble the sandwich, quickly have a bite. I don’t want you to lose any chance of tasting and feeling the pulled pork sandwich in its freshest state. I once read an article, there was a sushi chef who told his customer to eat the sushi in 3 seconds. I am just borrowing the idea from this chef to eat your food in its freshest form because the taste of the food will decline as time passes. Read more if you like from the link here.
So, while the bun is warm, pulled pork is soft and hot, pickles are cold. Stuff all into your mouth.
Pulled Pork Sandwich with Pickled Carrot and Red Onion (serves 2 to 3 person)
The pulled pork recipe is adapted from Dan Hong’s recipe book.
- 1 kg of pork with fats and skin
Stock for the pork:
- 4 shallots, 4 garlic & 2 inches ginger, pound into paste
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tablespoon of black peppercorns
- 2.5 tablespoon of oil
- ½ cup of ShaoXing wine
- ½ cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon of rock sugar or replace with white sugar
- ½ tablespoon of dark soy sauce, for the darkness…
- 3.5 cups of water
Pickled Red Onion:
- 1 red onion, slice thinly
- ½ cup of white vinegar
- ½ cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of black peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot, julienned
- ¼ cup of white vinegar
- ¼ cup of water
- ½ tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of honey
Thick Yummy Sauce for Drizzling on the Pulled Pork Sandwich:
- 2 cups of stock from the “Stock for the pork”
- 1 tablespoon of corn flour
- 2 tablespoon of water
- Some dinner rolls or white bread
- A bunch of spring onion, roughly chopped
- A bunch of coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat up the oil in a big pot. Put in the star anise, cinnamon stick, cardamom, black peppercorns and bay leaves. Fry until you see the bay leaves turn slightly brown. Put in the shallot, garlic and ginger paste. Mix well and continue to cook until you can smell good fragrance from the paste. Be careful not to burn the paste.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients under the “Stock for the pot” to the pot. Bring to boil. Add in the pork.
- With low heat, cook the pork in the stock for about 2 hours for the pork to turn soft.
- In the mean time, you can start making the pickles. For each of the pickles, combine all the ingredients and put into separate glass jar and store in the fridge until the pork is ready.
- Once the pork is soft enough, test it by pulling a piece out and put it in your mouth.
- We now need to prepare the thick and yummy sauce. In a small sauce pan, pour in 2 cups of stock, combine corn flour and water in a small bowl. Bring the stock to boil. Add in the corn flour and water. Stir until it becomes thicker.
- Take the pork out. Shred the pork with a fork or with your fingers if you want. Chop the fats and the skin and add in to the pulled pork. Don’t skip this if possible because the fats and the skin makes the pulled pork texture even better. The fats will just melt in your mouth.
- Take out the pickles, dinner roll, coriander and spring onion, start to get messy and enjoy!