Sometimes when I am at home, I don’t want to order food or get my self down to buy food, I got to make some food to feed my stomach, right?
Then, my mind will open to the “home available ingredient” browser. Hmmm, so I have got left over chicken drumstick and thigh from the whole chicken divided in the morning. Half of the chicken breast has gone to Mr. Paya for his lunch. Left two wings, half of the chicken breast which I kept for future use. The thigh and drumstick, my lunch! I am a greedy person. 2 drumsticks and 2 thighs for your lunch, that’s crazy, Emily!
Oh and I have a chicken carcass. I also happened to have some spring onion and coriander leaves. Perfect! I am making chicken rice. Oops… I have no red chilli which serves as a dipping sauce for the chicken. I will just go ahead without the chilli sauce then. Sometimes you just don’t get everything you want. But I learned to embrace the chicken rice without the chilli sauce.
This chicken rice I am making, I cooked the rice with the chicken soup I made. And the chicken soup is made by boiling the chicken carcass and also cooking the chicken thigh and drumstick.
Everything just revolve around the chicken.
After I am done with the cooking, I realised I can’t finish the chicken rice for lunch. I remember some old saying in Chinese which I am going to translate for you: your eyes (to see/view) is wide but your mouth (to eat) is narrow. This means you are able to see all the good food in front of you but you are unable to eat it all.
It’s alright. The balance is my dinner. So, when you cook with this recipe, it is either you have it for lunch and dinner or you have it with another person.
Chicken Rice without Chilli Sauce (serves 2 person)
- 2 chicken drumstick with thigh
- A bowl of ice water to submerge the chicken drumstick
Chicken Stock (cook for about 1 hour)
- 1 chicken carcass
- 3 pieces of sliced ginger, about 5mm thickness per slice
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 sprig of spring onion, chopped into 3
- 1 small bunch of coriander leaves
- 750ml of water
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 ¼ cup of chicken stock
- 4 pieces of sliced ginger, about 5mm thickness per slice
- ½ teaspoon of salt
Sauce for the Chicken:
- 6 tablespoon of chicken stock
- 2 teaspoon of soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon of sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon of sugar
- A handful of roughly chopped spring onion
- A handful of roughly chopped coriander leaves
- In a medium pot, combine all the ingredients for the chicken stock. First with high heat, cook to boil and turn to low heat. Cover and continue to cook for 1 hour.
- Once the chicken stock is ready, it’s time to poach the chicken. Place the chicken drumstick and thigh into the pot. In medium to low heat, poach the chicken for about 20 minutes.
- Prepare a big bowl with ice water, once the chicken drumstick is poached, place the chicken drumstick in the ice water for about 10 minutes. This step is to tighten the chicken skin and to stop the cooking process to prevent the chicken from overcooked. And the chicken will taste juicy and tender.
- Now we are into preparing the rice, combine all the ingredients in a pot or rice cooker. If it’s rice cooker, you can’t just sit and relax. But if you are like me, cooking with a pot then you cook with medium heat for about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Be careful once you see not much of water content in the pot. This shows the rice is about to be done. Turn to low heat if necessary. Taste the rice and when the rice is done, it should be soft and fluffy (not al-dente). Turn off the heat and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- While you are cooking the rice, you can prepare the sauce by combining all the ingredients under the “Sauce for the Chicken”.
- Once all the elements are ready, it’s time to assemble the chicken rice. Place the chicken drumstick on a plate. Some people will chopped the chicken into smaller pieces. But like me, I eat it as a whole. Garnish with “Sauce for the chicken”, coriander leaves and spring onion. Serve with hot rice.
I know the only thing missing is the chilli sauce but if you do have the ingredients, do go ahead and make the chilli sauce.
Here’s the recipe for the chilli sauce:
- 3 red chillies
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 inches of ginger
- 2 tablespoon of white vinegar
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon of sugar plus more for adjustment
- 1 tablespoon of chicken stock
- Salt to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a blender. Blend well. If you want the chilli sauce to be more watery, adjust by adding water.