Usually when we talk about pesto, one of the basic ingredient is basil. To be honest, I don’t enjoy basil. What?! Yes, I don’t like basil. I have tried to like it by putting it on pizza, buying basil pesto sauce to try with pasta, smelling it a hundred times to convince myself to like it… No, it didn’t change my mind.
But when I see some green pasta, I feel like eating it. You know when you see too much of red tomato based pasta and when you see something green, it’s refreshing. It makes you want to try.
So I want to have a green pasta which I will be happy when I look at it and I will enjoy eating. I bought kale. Kale is great, nutritious and green. On top of kale, I thought of adding a little bit more of taste dimension to my pesto so I add a small bunch of mint leaves and spring onion. As for the nuts, I used pistachios and pumpkin seeds.
This kale pesto is tangy, nutty with a hint of mint in it. It colour up the pasta greatly. Make me salivate when I look at the pasta. This pesto is not only suitable for pasta, I tried by spreading on crackers, it works well too. Probably I can use it entertain guests next time.
Kale & Pistachios Pesto Spaghetti (serves 2-3 person)
Ingredients for Pesto:
- 80g of kale leaves, removed from stem (about 2 bunches)
- 1 small handful of mint leaves
- 4 stalks of spring onion, just the green part
- 3 garlic cloves
- 40g of roasted pistachios
- 20g of pumpkin seeds
- 50g of parmesan cheese, crumbled
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoon of virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- *lemon, salt & pepper can be adjusted according to your liking
*Pasta: Enough amount of spaghetti to serve 2 to 3 person.
*Pesto quantity: Don’t you worry, the pesto quantity is more than enough to serve another person or extra servings. The balance can be kept in the fridge for another 3 days.
- It is pretty simple. Combine all the ingredients to make the pesto in the food processor and work into paste form. You might need to adjust the pesto with olive oil if it is too stiff/thick.
- Cook the spaghetti to al-dente. Strain the spaghetti into a big bowl.
- While the spaghetti is hot, scoop 3 to 4 scoops of pesto onto the spaghetti. Stir and mix well.
- The spaghetti is ready to serve.