This is tater tots mashed and cooked in a waffle machine together with cheese. I am doing something fun like this behind Mister Paya’s back. He loves this kind of food idea. So, not only I made this behind his back, I ate it all and I showed him the photo. Muahahahahahaha! He stared at me the whole night because of this.
The main ingredients for this breakfast dish is tater tots. Tater tots originated from United States. I like tater tots a lot and even more than hash browns. Although both are made from potatoes, but I just prefer tater tots. Why? I like that it is tiny and that I can put one by one into my mouth.
Oh, I don’t fry or oven bake tater tots. I always pan fry it with butter. Trust me trust me, it is way way much better than frying or baking. The golden crust formed by frying in butter and the butter smell on the tater tots is incomparable with frying or baking in oven. I usually eat tater tots with just a glass of milk.
This is a pretty simple breakfast idea. The form is slightly different because it is in waffle shape. So you got to have a waffle machine to make this dish.
Top the waffle tater tots with one sunny side up egg and let the yolk run down the waffles, a great view to look at, isn’t it?
Tater Tots Waffles with Eggs for Breakfast (serves 2)
- 500g of tater tots
- 30g of butter
- Dash of salt & black pepper
- 60g of grated cheese (any melting cheese you like)
- 5 or 6 spring onion (just the green part), chopped
- 2 fried sunny side up eggs
- We need to prepare the tater tots before putting into the waffle machine.
- Heat up a pan and put in butter. When the butter is melted, put in the tater tots to fry. Sprinkle salt and black pepper on the tater tots.
- Fry until both sides are light brown. You can use a fork to flip the tater tots.
- While you are waiting for that, heat up the waffle machine.
- Once the waffle machine is heated up, line the tater tots on the waffle plate. Put the cheese and spring onion on top as well. Leave some spring onion to sprinkle on the eggs later.
- Close the machine and let it cook until the light turns green.
- While you are waiting for the tater tots to be ready, you can get ready the sunny side up eggs.
- Once the tater tots waffles are ready, top with sunny side up egg and enjoy.