This is usually cooked using pork ribs. It’s called sweet and sour pork. I had a lot of meat recently. Especially a few days ago, I had ramen for lunch. I ordered pork ribs ramen for lunch and since I am a very greedy person plus I am sharing with Mister Paya, I added some char siu and an egg to my ramen.
Here is the photo, see the amount of the meat!!! I was full and has been burping for hours. Seriously, this kind of heavy meal, I can only have it a few months once.
So, for the next few days, I am not eating meat… I am making this tofu meal for lunch. I have always like sauce that is sweet and sour. One of my favorite dish is sweet and sour pork, this dish is always available in the menu of any Chinese restaurants. Before I go to any Chinese restaurant, I always tell myself to try new dishes and don’t order sweet and sour pork but I always cannot resist and order it. One bite of the sweet and sour pork and one big bite of rice is a type of comfort zone for me.
I am making this sweet and sour tofu in replacement of meat and tofu is a great protein source. I really like that the tofu that is soaked with sweet and sour sauce garnished with pungent spring onion and earthy toasted sesame seeds. Let’s munch!
Sweet and Sour Tofu (serves 2 person with steamed rice)
- 300g of tofu
- 2 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon of black vinegar
- ½ tablespoon of wine
- ½ teaspoon of dark soy sauce
- A few slices of ginger
- Salt to taste
- ½ + ½ tablespoon of oil
- Garnish: spring onion, slice thinly & a pinch of toasted sesame
- Heat up a pan in medium heat. Put in oil. Fry the tofu on both sides until a bit brown. Set aside.
- In a pot with medium heat, heat up ½ tablespoon of oil, add in ginger. Fry for a few seconds.
- Add in sugar, rice wine vinegar, dark soy sauce and soy sauce. Cook in medium heat to reduce the sauce. About 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add in the tofu and stir to coat all the tofu with sauce.
- Garnish with spring onion and sesame.