Glutinous rice – once cooked, it is sticky with a very nice fragrant, different from the normal rice. It is widely use in South East Asia. There are so many food made using glutinous rice. For example the Chinese rice dumpling “bak chang”, breakfast menu – steamed chicken and glutinous rice “loh mai kai”, Thai style glutinous rice with mango and the list goes on.
This Spicy Coconut Glutinous Rice Roll “Pulut Panggang” is one of my favorite Malaysian tea time snack. So, we take spicy coconut and dried shrimp filling, wrap it in steamed glutinous rice then wrapped in banana leaves and grilled. The banana leaves give a really nice fragrant to the glutinous rice. The combination of coconut, dried shrimp and chilli paste gives you a very complex mouthful of experience when eating.
I didn’t know that this takes time to wrap each of them until I did it myself and I adore the ladies that had to wrap hundreds of them. The process is tedious but I really like the end result. A small roll parcel that when you unwrapped and take a bite, that feeling is great.
Spicy Coconut Glutinous Rice Roll “Pulut Panggang” (makes 10)
- 1 cup of glutinous rice, soaked in water overnight
- 120ml of coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup of fine desiccated coconut + 2 tablespoon of water
- 2 tablespoon of dried shrimp, soak until soft then chop finely
- 2 small onion, slice thinly
- 2 tablespoon of the *chilli paste
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ tablespoon of water
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 red chilli
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 thin slices of galangal, like a 5 cents coin
- ½ inch of lemongrass (the white part)
- ½ inch of turmeric or ½ teaspoon of ground turmeric
- Banana leaves, cut to 14×12 cm
- We need to get 2 items up for steaming. First is the glutinous rice and the second one is the desiccated coconut.
- Combine and mix well the ingredients for the glutinous rice in a plate. Place in the steamer to steam for about 30 minutes.
- After that, take out the glutinous rice and steam the desiccated coconut for 10 minutes. Set both aside.
- Get the chilli paste ready by blending the ingredients into paste.
- Heat up a pan with low heat. Put in oil. Once the oil is heated up, put in sliced onion. Fry the onion until some turn to light brown.
- Add in the chilli paste and fry until the chilli paste turns to a darker red color and red oil starts emitting from the paste.
- Add in coconut, dried shrimp, coriander powder, sugar, white pepper and salt.
- Fry the filling in low heat for about 10 minutes which is until the filling is dry. Set aside.
- Now we need to get the banana leaves ready for wrapping. Fill a pot with water (about quarter of the pot). Bring to boil. Put in the banana leaves and let it cook for just 1 minute. Take it out and tap dry.
- Divide the glutinous rice to 10 even portions.
- Take one portion and spread the glutinous rice on the leaf. Spread to about ¾ of the leaf. Place the filling on and in the middle of the glutinous rice.
- Wrap the banana leaf and mould the rice into cylinder form. Secure both ends with toothpicks.
- Heat up a pan in high heat, grill the roll in the pan on 2 sides with each side about 1 minute. Done! Best eat with milk tea.