Today I am making something really simple. It just toasting, assembling and then dip and eat. The main ingredient is tofu puff. When you press on it, it is soft and slightly oily because of the frying process. The inside part of tofu puff is almost hollow. Tofu puff is something that I enjoyed if it’s fried or toast till crispy.
This tofu is toasted and therefore the skin is crispy and slightly charred. The charred smell is always very intriguing. The main taste profile of this dish is sweet because of the sweet sauce. A bit of spiciness if you add your favorite chilli sauce in it. Then you have the crunchy freshness coming from cucumber and sweet bean sprouts that’s tender and soft. On top of that, you have the toasted peanuts which adds on some crunch and earthiness taste to it.
This toast tofu is built based on my childhood memory. This is something sold by the hawker back in Malaysia. Usually they sell it alongside with rojak which is fruit salad tossed with a type of special sauce. But I just want to keep things simple and therefore I replaced the special sauce with a type of sauce that Chinese uses to serve with Peking Duck or we simply just call it sweet sauce. And, I added store bought chilli sauce to add a bit of kick to it. This toast tofu is a crowd pleaser if you have a bunch of vegan friends. I can wallop a bunch of these.
Stuffed Tofu Toast (serves 2)
- 6 triangle tofu puff
- 100g of bean sprouts
- 1 cucumber
- ¼ cup of toasted peanuts (for sprinkling)
- Store bought sweet sauce/peking duck sauce
- Chilli sauce on the side
- Peel the cucumber a julienne peeler or any peeler that you have. The cucumber should be long thin strips. Set aside.
- Put some water in a small pot to boil. Put the bean sprouts in boiling water for about 30 seconds. Then drain it and put the bean sprouts into cold water for 30 seconds. Drain the bean sprouts and set aside.
- Make a slit on the tofu puff. It is for the stuffing later.
- Heat up your pan in medium high heat. Toast both sides of the tofu until you see some char on tofu skin.
- It’s time to assemble. Take a tofu puff, rub a bit of sweet sauce into the slit of the tofu puff. Then stuff some cucumber and bean sprouts into the slit of the tofu puff. Repeat for the rest of the tofu puffs.
- Place all on a deep dish plate. Drizzle the tofu puffs with sweet sauce and sprinkle with a lot of toasted peanut