This is something that I whipped up quickly for lunch. It was so fast that after eating it, I was asking myself if this was a dream. Lunch is over?! Hahahaha! One mad woman standing in the middle of the living with question marks on her head. Sometimes I think I “cartoonised” myself by putting myself in scenarios like this. Maybe it’s good to illustrate it out.
I made the spaghetti in less than 30 minutes and it is so quick to cook and eat that I only took just 2 shots… So, this blog post is simple and short. Unlike my tandoori chicken post…
So back to my spaghetti, there is the tomato based pasta, the creamy based pasta and then this kind of dry pasta. When I eat dry pasta, I want it to be packed with strong taste. So my version is that it has to be garlicky, pungent, have slight of spiciness and great prawny taste with a little kick from the anchovy. Yum yum yum yum…..
Prawn & Garlic Spaghetti with Anchovy (serves 2)
- 250g of spaghetti
- 8 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 10 prawns with shell and head
- 4 anchovy fillets, roughly crushed
- 2 tablespoon of virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon of red chilli flakes
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Salt to taste if needed
- Garnish: parsley and grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta to al-dente according to the packaging’s instruction. Remember to use salted water to cook your pasta. Drain and set aside.
- While you are cooking the pasta. Clean the prawns. Remove the heads and shells. Keep the prawn heads.
- Immediately heat up a big pan. Put in the olive oil and let the oil heat up. Add in the prawn heads. Use a wooden spatula to crush the head of the prawns so that the “essence” in the prawn head can be mixed into the olive oil then forming prawn head oil that will flavor the spaghetti really well.
- Once you see the oil is yellow, add in garlic, anchovy, chilli flakes and ground black pepper. Cook until the garlic turn to light brown.
- Add in the pasta and fry to mix well. Continue for about 2 more minutes. You can adjust with salt if needed but I didn’t add in any salt because the saltiness from anchovy is good enough to season the pasta.
- Garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese.
- Eat immediately!